Module status: Complete
This module consisted of a school-based enquiry about an issue or area of education that I wished to investigate. Having begun to use Google Docs regularly with my students during the previous academic year I decided it would be pertinent to investigate and develop/improve the methodologies that I was refining in terms of collaboration and assessment.
The question that I settled on was as follows:
- Does the collaborative functionality of Google docs allow educators to better put formative assessment at the heart of their students’ learning?
I also enjoyed working directly with the students in evaluating their use of Google Docs as a learning tool and interviewing Oliver Quinlan who has also completed extensive work into using Google Docs in the classroom.
As I worked through the module I read a range of texts. The selected texts below represent the ones that came to shape my thinking and also featured in my assignment. I have added links to the texts that are available online:
- Barrett, Tom (2008a) Marking work in Google Docs, Retrieved 14th December, 2010 from the World Wide Web: http://tbarrett.edublogs.org/2008/06/29/marking-work-in-google-docs/
- Barrett, Tom (2008b) Unobtrusive Collaboration in Google Docs, Retrieved 14th December, 2010 from the World Wide Web: http://edte.ch/blog/2008/10/10/unobtrusive-collaboration-in-google-docs/
- Beebe, R, Vonderwell, S and Boboc, M. (2010) “Emerging Patterns in Transferring Assessment Practices from F2f to Online Environments” Electronic Journal of e-Learning Volume 8 Issue 1 2009, (pp1 – 12), available online at www.ejel.org
- Black, P. and Wiliam, D. (1998) Inside the Black Box: Raising Standards through Classroom Assessment, London: King’s College.
- Black, P et al. (2002) Working Inside the Black Box: Assessment for learning in the classroom, London: King’s College
- Clarke, S. (2005) Formative Assessment in the Secondary Classroom, London: Hodder Murray.
- Claxton, G. (2006) Expanding the Capacity to Learn: A new end for education?, BERA 2006 Keynote.
- Cohen, Louis., Manion, Lawrence., Morrison, Keith. (2007) Research Methods in Education, Routledge, 6th Edition.
- Davies, J and Ecclestone, K. (2008) ‘Straightjacket’ or ‘springboard for sustainable learning’? The implications of formative assessment practices in vocational learning courses, The Curriculum Journal, 19 (2), 71-86
- Demetriou, H. The Case Study, In Wilson, E (2009) School based research, London, Sage.
- Hatziapostolou, T and Paraskakis, I. (2010) “Enhancing the Impact of Formative Feedback on Student Learning through an Online Feedback System” Electronic Journal of e-Learning Volume 8 Issue 2 2010, (pp111 – 122), available online at www.ejel.org
- Heppell, S. (2010) Meta Cognition, Stephen Heppell, Learning and Teaching Scotland: Assessment for Learning, iTunesU, Retrieved 18 January 2011 from the World Wide Web: http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/itunesu/index.asp
- Kennedy, D. J. (2009) Virtual Learning Environments: Here to stay or on the brink of demise?, The Plymouth Student Educator.
- Prensky, Marc (2001a) Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants, On the Horizon, MCB University Press, Vol. 9, No. 5
- Prensky, Marc (2001b) Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants, Part II: Do They Really Think Differently?, On the Horizon, MCB University Press, Vol. 9, No. 5
- Puentedura, Ph.D., Ruben R. (2006) Transformation, Technology, and Education, Retrieved 15th June, 2010 from the World Wide Web: http://hippasus.com/resources/tte/
- Quinlan, Oliver (2010) Personalising writing lessons with the new Google Docs, Retrieved 14th December 2010 from the World Wide Web: http://www.oliverquinlan.com/blog/2010/04/27/personalising-writing-lessons-with-the-new-google-docs/
- Quinlan, Oliver (2011) Collaborative assessment with Google Docs, Retrieved April 7th, 2011 from the World Wide Web: http://www.oliverquinlan.com/blog/2011/04/06/collaborative-assessment-with-google-docs/
- Stenhouse, L. (1985) Research as a basis for teaching: readings from the work of Lawrence Stenhouse, Oxford: Heinmann Educational
- Thornburg, David D. (2007) Campfires in Cyberspace: Primordial Metaphors for Learning in the 21st Century, Retrieved May 2nd, 2010 from the World Wide Web: http://www.tcpd.org/thornburg/handouts/campfires.pdf
- Wiliam, D. (2010) Innovation that works. Workshop at SSAT conference, Birmingham, November. Retrieved 28 November 2010 from the World Wide Web: http://web.me.com/dylanwiliam/Dylan_Wiliams_website/Presentations.html
- Yin, R. (1993) Applications of Case Study Research, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publishing
- Yin, R. (1994) Case study research: Design and methods (2nd ed.). Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publishing